Experiments in HDR

Here is my first real attempt at an HDR image, taken from three shot with a 1.3+- exposure bracketing.
The foreground is a bit blurry as the wind was moving the plants and I wasn’t using a tripod, notes for next time.

Ripon Sunset HDR

  • After converting from the RAW files I arranged the three images as separate layers in Photoshop.
  • The layers where arranged as +1.3 exposure,normal,-1.3.
  • Then I added layer masks to the top two layers.
  • Painting on the top layer mask I removed the “burnt out” sections from the top layers so the correctly exposed section from the layer below showed through.
  • I repeated this again on the second layer.
  • I ran a low Gaussian blur on the layer masks to soften the edges of the masks to reduce the halo effect.
  • Then I merge each layer into the one below to create the finished image.

Alastair Montgomery’s Photography

Main Page My Shop at Zazzle DeviantArt Account Red Bubble Account

In association with Zazzle.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s